Sunday, 30 January 2011

Percy


Ever since I was a kid I wanted a Grandfather clock.  I would admire them in films, drool over them in shop windows, and would write to Santa/tooth fairy/God and all the powers that be asking if I could have one.  At one stage, I even made a jigsaw grandfather clock with a working clock face that I glued together and hung on the landing wall.  It was nice, but at just 5 foot in length, made of cardboard, and minus a chime, it didn’t quite fit what I had in mind.

But then Santa, the tooth fairy and God all got together and gave me Percy the Grandfather clock.  At over 8 foot tall, with a bronze eagle perched on his head, Percy is about 300 years old.  


For just over the last 5 years, Percy has been tucked away in the porch behind the front door for safe keeping where no one ever saw him, let alone knew he was there, but today I decided if you’re going to have a Grandfather clock, then it needs to be situated in a place where, day or night, you can hear his gentle tick and soft hourly chime.  And, in a the traditional manner, I had Ben sit him at the bottom of the stairs next to my oil duck painting that I purchased at a car boot sale in Cornwall for a song.  I think the two complement each other wonderfully.


 
Percy has a sun, moon and stars face surrounded by roses and greenery, and a lovely garden scene, that rotates.  He also has what looks to be a navigation clock on his face and the words ‘Time and tide wait for no man’ etched on him.



 Plus, he has a opening door in his front panel that is narrow, but very deep.  Deep enough to store my wool and needles and knitted squares.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I did not even notice him!! I shall have a good look at him when I come visit next, lol and the blankets. Been so busy here, everyones been poorly. Ems been off for a week with the lurgy and I'm loosing my patience as Florence Nightingale xxx

    ReplyDelete